Astronomy Courses & Education for first-timers.University Certificates
Single-module certificates for broader study and skills.Advanced Study
Routes to a full BSc(Hons) Degree in Astronomy.
Applications from new students for the academic year 2017/18 are now open.
The courses for 2017/18 will start 25 September 2017.
The deadline for applications is 15 August 2017.
Late applications may be accepted until 31 August 2017.
The Course Team will do everything possible to process these late applications but must give priority to applicants who met the original deadline.
Applications that arrive after the final cut-off will be acknowledged and held over for the following academic year. They will be considered academically when applications reopen in February.
The application process is online, following the procedure described below.
To start an application, click on the link 'Start an Online application' below and create a First Time User Account (this is just an account that allows you to create, edit and submit an online application).
Important points regarding the online application:
- Choose radio button UK/EU/Island Applicant or International Applicant
- Level of Study: in the drop-down menu choose 'Undergraduate'
- Mode of Study: in the drop-down menu choose 'Part Time'
- Year to Start Study: select the year, eg '2017/18'
- In box "Search for any part of Course Title" enter 'Cosmology' or 'Astronomy' or 'Astrobiology' or 'Sun'
- Under the Search box, tick 'Distance/Blended Learning Courses Only'
- Click the Search button - lower left - to obtain a list of courses.
- Choose radio button of the course you want, eg 'Certificate in Cosmology'.
- Click 'Continue' to go to the Application Checklist.
- Complete each section of the application in turn.
- Remember to upload scans of your qualifications in Supporting Documents
- You do not need to supply an academic reference if you are applying for a University Certificate, but you must if you apply for the CertHE, DipHE or BSc Astronomy.
If you wish to study 2 University Certificates, you will need to put in 2 separate applications - we recommend that you copy and paste the information from the first application into a document and then paste it in the second application.
Even if you plan to move on later to advanced study, we ask you to start with University Certificates initially. It will be possible for you to transfer onto one of the advanced awards at a later stage and modules studied as University Certificates will be counted towards the advanced award.
Submit an online application here:
(If the distance learning applications area is closed, it is still possible to enter the online application system, but the distance learning courses will not not be found in the course search. Please be patient and wait until the Distance Learning applications open in February.)
If you are currently enrolled on a UCLan Astronony programme you will not need to submit an online application. Towards the end of the current academic year we will contact you by email regarding your Progression and will ask you to complete an online questionnaire to inform us which module(s) you wish to study in the next academic year. This should significantly speed up the registration process. It is important that you complete the progression questionnaire by the deadline in March/April. Only students who have completed the progression questionnaire will be invited in August to enrol online, ready for the start of the module in late September. Payment can be made following enrolment, or later in October when the University issues invoices.